- The minister of state for petroleum, Timipre Sylva, denies claims that the federal government is planning to remove subsidy on fuel
- Sylva discloses that the government is aware of the challenges facing Nigerians and would not want to burden them more
- The minister argues that Nigerians do not consume up to 60 million litres of fuel as had been claimed in the past
Timipre Sylva, Nigeria's minister of state for petroleum, on Thursday, October 17, noted that the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari is not planning to remove subsidy from fuel.
Sylva noted that the government was aware of what Nigerians are going through and, therefore, not planning to add to their burdens.
Speaking to legislators at a joint session of National Assembly committees overseeing the oil sector, Sylva said: “This government is not about to remove fuel subsidy because it is difficult; we believe as a government that our people are going through a lot
“We cannot as a responsible government hip another issue of petroleum price hike or removal of subsidy on Nigerians. It is not on the cards at all, we are just looking at how we can manage it."
The minister explained that the federal government does not believe that Nigerians consume over 60 million litres of fuel daily as he argued that the product was being smuggled to neighbouring countries while Nigeria keeps subsidising it.
Noting that the government was working to plug the leakages, Silva said the nation's refineries would help to reduce cost of subsidy if fully back on track.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng reports that President Muhammadu Buhari promised, on Thursday, October 17, that , capital of Cross River state.
The president said it when he hosted His Eminence, Edidem Ekpo Okon Abasi, Otu V, Obong of Calabar, at the State House.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng. We have upgraded to serve you better.
Nigerian youths are ready to take up the mantle of leadership - Femi Adeyeye |