- Former minister of petroleum, Diezani Alison-Madueke, has reacted to forfeiture order of her jewellery
- A federal high court sitting in Lagos had on July 5, secured an interim forfeiture of hundreds of Diezani's jewellery valued at $40 million
- In her reaction, the former minister, however, said the court lacked jurisdiction to have granted the interim forfeiture order
Diezani Alison-Madueke, a former minister of petroleum resources, has accused the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) of violating her privacy by entering her apartment without a court order.
Premium Times reports that Alison-Madueke, who is still at large, said in an application through her lawyer that the action of the EFCC operatives was illegal.
Legit.ng gathered that the EFCC at a federal court in Lagos on July 5, secured an interim forfeiture of hundreds of jewellery valued at $40 million allegedly belonging to Alison-Madueke.
The jewellery, comprising bangles, earrings, and wristwatches were recovered from homes traced to the former minister.
According to the EFCC, the items are “reasonably suspected to have been acquired with and or represent proceeds of the respondent’s unlawful activities.”
The former minister is facing multiple charges of money laundering before federal courts in Lagos and Abuja.
She is believed to be in the United Kingdom where she is also being investigated for money laundering.
In her filings before the court in Lagos, she said the EFCC violated her fundamental rights to own property and to appropriate them at her discretion under sections 43 and 44 of the Nigerian constitution.
The application was filed by Awa Kalu, a professor of law, on behalf of the former minister.
She said the federal court lacked the jurisdiction to have granted the July 5 interim forfeiture order because she had not been charged with any crime or served summons by the EFCC.
Alison-Madueke also said the temporary forfeiture order was prejudicial because she was denied fair hearing.
The application, which had been scheduled to be argued on Monday, August 19, was stalled due to Kalu’s absence.
According to the online medium, a lawyer from his chamber, Chukwuka Obidike, told the court that Kalu was engaged in election petitions and requested for an adjournment.
Nicholas Oweibo, the judge, adjourned the case till August 29.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that $42m belonging to an oil magnate, Kola Aluko, who was accused of defrauding Nigeria through crude oil sales, was sold off by the federal government and the United States.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!
The luxury of corruption -
Cristiano Ronaldo is the best player of all time - Juventus director Paratici
Tinsel star Tomi Odunsi Fadina and hubby welcome first child together
Hope rises as Israeli researchers announce breakthrough on coronavirus vaccine
They can't take my power, I'll rise as a king as the war has just begun - Wilder